Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
IMPORTANT: Please check-in for your appointment 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
This time allows for you to complete payment, review your consent form, for the staff to bring you back to one of the surgical rooms, connect you to all the monitors and have you sign the consent form electronically.
If you are not here 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, you will be re-scheduled.
You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours before your surgery appointment time.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible before the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. If the patient is a minor, a parent or legal guardian must accompany the patient to the appointment.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose comfortable clothing, with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- For your comfort, you may bring a small blanket or throw to keep you warm after your surgery.
- Do not wear perfumes, lotions, lipstick, or excessive makeup.
- Please do not wear fingernail polish or acrylic nails to your surgery appointment.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, such as blood pressure medications, please take them as prescribed before your surgery with a small sip of water only.
Please prepare for your recovery. We recommend you stock your refrigerator with enough cool smooth foods to last you at least 72 hours. Examples include yogurt, applesauce, pudding, ice-cream, milkshakes or smoothies, Jell-O, Ensure, Boost, or Slim-Fast. Tomato soup & other broths at room temperature are also acceptable.
Because we have allotted time and space for you on our schedule for a given day, we ask that if you need to cancel or reschedule your surgical appointment, please do so at least 48 hours in advance of your appointment time, as a courtesy to our office, to avoid a $250.00 cancellation fee.